Copyright

I am flattered that some feel my creative writing is entertaining enough to want to share with others. These stories, however, are a labor of love and are ever evolving. Direct copying of any of these stories would not be flattering at all. If you would like to share with others you may copy a portion of a story and then link to the original here. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Advice: Decent but Depressed

Dear Threetoes,
The future on the horizon is not one of hope, and it pains me to admit that the promise of peace is long gone. Dark times are drawing near, with no chance for the world to turn from the path her children have chosen. Men in positions of power on both sides have been left unchecked in their dark desires and arrogant ambitions for too long, and by now it is far too late for any of us to beat back the beast they have brought forth.

I speak of war. A war of conquest. A war of survival and supplies, of reclamation and revenge. Gods, glory, gold and all things in-between. A war that I can neither abide nor accept... nor is it a war that I can just sit back idly for or abstain from. I am a social creature. I have friends, family, loved ones; a complex web of interpersonal relationships and interactions that I weave and wrap around myself, and every last thread is threatened by this all consuming conflict that we are building up towards.

My enemies would see those I care about put to the sword or left in shackles, exiled from their homes or tossed into the fire. No matter what, I cannot let this happen. I would not deserve to have them in my life if I could... yet at the same time, my allies would do much the same to those that do not deserve it. Conquer the lands of our enemies and slay any that resist, cut down those that would be doing nothing more than protecting those they care for. There would be nothing just in victory, nothing noble about the domination of those we are at odds with.

I find myself at a crossroads. How can I fight in a war that I cannot afford to lose, yet one that I have no desire to win? A war where either outcome leaves the world left in ruin, her soul scarred as scores of her children are snuffed out, entire societies slain because a select few feel they have the right to decide who deserves life and who does not; that an entire planet is their plaything to do with as they wish? How do I even fight such a war?

Sincerely, A Decent Sentient Being


Dear Decent,
wow... seriously depressing. No seriously, moved to tears!

Have you considered the alternatives? There doesn't have to be a win or lose, there can be a stalemate or a refusal to engage. Your allies commit the same crimes as your enemy does against you, and yet I read nothing in your letter about campaigning to stop them. Does it matter who started the fued? Why don't YOU become the vehicle for change?

Alternatively, pack up your friends and family and move to a less war torn area of Azeroth, maybe Icecrown?

Ideally though if you don't wish to win or lose the war it comes down to stopping it. Would your friends and family help you convince your allies to stop attacks? Do you have the rallying power to draw others to your cause of Peace?

Barring these solutions the best I can suggest is drowing your sorrows each night until you pass out so you can at least get a good night sleep before the next day of warfare.

Harmin "Threetoes" Warhammer

No comments:

Post a Comment