Copyright

I am flattered that some feel my creative writing is entertaining enough to want to share with others. These stories, however, are a labor of love and are ever evolving. Direct copying of any of these stories would not be flattering at all. If you would like to share with others you may copy a portion of a story and then link to the original here. Thank you for understanding.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Journey: Duskwood

After hearing about the Gilnean plight from Dathelor I became curious and asked around for a place I might meet some of the cursed humans. I was directed to Duskwood, Darkshire specifically; the people there are in dire straits. Stormwind is unable or unwilling to send military support and the people live in constant fear of another attack, either by feral Worgen or by undead.

After checking in with the Watch Commander to see where I might be most useful, I decided to see what kind of "color" I might find in the Scarlet Raven Tavern. I wasn't disappointed. The first thing I saw was a very large Worgen in black and blood red plate armor standing on the far side of the room. It took a huge effort on my part not to stare. I've met many druids and watched them shift from elven form to one of their animal forms. I've met the Tauren, the furlbog and the fauns. I've fought murlocs and satyrs, but never have I see a creature quite like this one. It was if a man had grown up inside the skin of a wolf. He stood on two legs, wore armor like a human, but his face sported a snout the envy of any alpha wolf.

There were others too, a cat whom I recognized to be a druid from his telltale markings and jewelry, another cat that looked like she might be one of the Sentinel companions, a handful of humans and gnomes and dwarves... more humans than anything. As I stood there deciding where to go first I felt movement behind me and stepped aside to admit another Worgen in his shifted form. This one wore robes and druidic bits of armor, but presented the same feral face and sharp taloned fingers.

A human woman greeted me from behind the bar, her accent hinting at possible Gilnean ancestry, she introduced herself as Kallo and offered me a drink on the house. While I don't often drink the warm welcome in such a dismal location went a long way to making me feel more comfortable. In fact, had I not just been outside in the gloom and if it weren't for one of the humans constantly commenting on his hardships, I might not have realized I was anywhere but a pleasant tavern in a pleasant village.

I chose a seat mostly out of the way and observed the people, I learned that most of them were members of the Esoteric Darkshire Cabal. The chatty one, Farrin Daris, was not... he seemed to be drawing negative attention from the others who dismissed his concerns about their collective circumstance. When I'd settled the large Sentinel cat prowled over, no doubt catching wind of Dathelor's feline scent on me.

Perhaps she sensed my hesitation around strangers, but the great beast seemed intent on getting some attention from me. I turned my head slightly and narrowed my eyes, expressing my trust in her and she moved forward to rest her head in my lap, purring quietly. I stroked the cat's ears, inside and out, and continued to watch the room with the contented warmth against my thighs, like a security blanket.

There were questions, there always were. Where was I from, what was I doing here, was I traveling alone, how long was I staying. I answered most of the questions as best I could, but I'm not use to so much attention and found quickly that I needed to take a break from the press of people. I'm sure they weren't really crowding me, but it certainly felt that way to me.

I excused myself and slipped outside, inhaling deeply to recover my equilibrium. I didn't wander far, no sense in getting into a scuffle with the local hostiles. A few minutes later I was joined by the large feline druid. He, unlike Dathelor, was able to speak in his cat form. He introduced himself as Isiravos Dala'riel and we talked for what seemed hours. Perhaps it was that long. I felt at ease with him, probably because he refused to take his elven form.

I decided to stay a while, help out with the invasion, and learn a bit more about Worgen and their plight.

No comments:

Post a Comment